In this bubble of parenting a child with autism, it seems like there’s so much we already know.
But what if you don’t know?
What if you’re not the parent of a child with autism?
Do you know what autism is and what it’s like being a parent of this amazing child?
Sometimes I wish I can just summarize it for people!
So here it is…
10 things you should know about Autism
1. If you meet one person with autism you met one person with autism.
Every single person with autism is different.
2. An autism diagnosis is not the end of the world.
Learn about autism. If your child got the diagnosis then learn about your child. Study your child. Find out what drives them and what they are good at. Then help them thrive!
3. Kids with autism are not retarded or dumb.
They are amazing and can teach you more than you ever imagined. Their brains work differently than neurotypical persons. We just haven’t figured out all the amazing ways that it works.
4. Being a parent of an autistic child will make you stronger, braver, more patient, more loving person than you thought possible.
5. Not everyone will understand what it’s like being a parent of an autistic child.
You will lose friends over it. Sad but true.
6. Kids with autism will surprise you.
Just give them a chance.
7.Kids with autism don’t look a certain way.
They don’t “look” autistic.
8. There is nothing “wrong” with a person that has autism.
They are not a “problem”. They were created with a different brain than you and me. We just have to figure out how it works.
9. Autism can come with other conditions, such as ADHD, SPD, and others.
10. You should never judge an Autism mom.
Mom is doing the best she can. She is super mom.
Actually, let’s not judge any mom!
This whole parenting a child with autism journey can be exhausting. When we have those around us that understand and support us we are so lucky and blessed.
Those that don’t are truly missing out.
10 Things about autism is just not enough but it’s a start.
What would you add to the list?
Free Scripture Printables
Subscribe to get your free printables and our latest content by email.